Sunday, April 13, 2008

Most Smartest....

Well, it's official. We've finished all our baby classes. We went to parenting, childbirth and breastfeeding. It made for two VERY long weekends but we learned a lot. I'm not sure if we feel more prepared for the baby to arrive or if only now we are able to realize how unprepared we truly are.

We took parenting first. The best part was that we got to learn infant CPR which we will hopefully never use. We also learned a lot about infant car seats. The worst part was some really awkward videos we watched about the importance of skin to skin contact. After all, we didn't really need a video explanation of what "skin to skin" meant.

Then this weekend we took childbirth on Friday night and Saturday. The first video we saw was about laboring. The instructor forgot to warn us that it would show a live birth at the end.....let's just say that it wasn't like on "A Baby Story" and nothing was blurred out. The second video was even more frightening. I looked at Josh several times and said, "I don't think I can do this." One of the videos said something about massage and how even household items could be used as massagers....it showed a rolling pin and I told Josh he could hit me over the head with that if things got too tough. Our childbirth class was very small and there were some fun people....so we got to make lots of jokes and comments such as when the instructor asked about the stages of labor being able to say loudly "Transition: that's when the yelling REALLY begins."

And then today we took our breastfeeding class. The lady was really positive and informative. She wasn't near the "la leche nazi" that I envisioned or had been warned about. I'm still not 100% sure how all that is going to work out but I feel better about it then I did before we went to the class. And strangely enough the videos in the breastfeeding class weren't nearly as awkward as the ones from parenting....go figure!

So, now I'm officially 32 weeks and despite the fact that we've finished our classes we're not really any closer to being "ready" for the baby to get here....I still have a TON of things on the to-do list such as 1) Finish grad school projects 2) Find job 3) Buy carseat....although I'm not sure those three things are the top three things....except maybe for the grad school project because it is due on Tuesday night and I'm blogging instead of working on it. Since it is already late Sunday night, I'd better get my "most smartest" self back to work on the project.

**Bonus points for you if you can name the movie that the quote "most smartest" comes from!! I'll give you a hint: "Amber is the best tapper, the most smartest"

4 comments:

The Rhodes' said...

don't worry labor isn't as bad as it seems. I don't know if you are planning on getting an epidural but I highly recommend it. I didn't feel a thing. In fact after he was out I said...that's it? don't worry you will figure everythign otu. Breastfeeding isn't as bad as it seems..it is an excellent bondign time. I highly recommend the Medella pump n style...I have had other friends try different ones and they end up getting it in the end. I found mine brand new on ebay for$200 cheaper than the stores. good luck!

It's a Mom Thing said...

my advice...get a carseat on the way home from work today! you just never know when that baby will be here and you can't leave the hospital without a carseat.

also, i'm so glad you took a breastfeeding class. that's the one regret i have. it would have been so helpful, i'm sure. i still managed to nurse T$ for 13 months and it was awesome. one of the highlights of mothering, in my opintion. i'm not a nazi, but i think everyone should give breastfeeding a REALLY GOOD try! it hurts at first and i'm sure everybody is ready to throw in the towel at some point, but hang in there. it's so worth it!

enough of the pep talk! we're excited for you and can't wait to see what you're baby is. i have 4 weeks left...YEA!!!

Jill said...

This post made me laugh out loud, mainly the comment about the rolling pin. HA!

Anonymous said...

ah! drop dead gorgeous - hands down one of my favorite movies. at least it's my favorite movie to quote. i call myself "most smartest" all the time! sorry i have no comments about breastfeeding. . .