Monday, December 10, 2007

Maybe I should've paid attention...

Freshman year at Baylor I had to take a computer programming course. It was part of my major--elementary education. Other education majors didn't have to take this class....just the girls who wanted to teach math. I'm not sure why this was part of the requirement but it was.

So, I would walk all the way out to the computer science and engineering building for class. If you went to Baylor then you know this building is on the other side of the world from Collins Hall in more ways than one. I went to my intro to C++ class every day. This is significant because attending class really wasn't my thing in college. There was an attendance policy at Baylor but let me tell I took EVERY absence I was allowed....except in programming. (I actually missed a math class 15 times--that's 5 weeks of class...but that's another story.)

The programming class was taught in a lecture hall without computers. The professor would talk and we would write notes. I think there was a book to read too. Then we would go in the computer lab on our own time and write programs for assignments. This was the toughest class I took at Baylor because learning programming language is like learning a foreign language and it was all taught on Macs....and at the time I'd never used a Mac before so there were lots of issues there. It was also the toughest because classes like "Music for educators" and "Jesus at the Movies" just didn't quite tax the brain.

It was a frustrating semester because you can type hundreds of lines of code, forget one comma and BAM! the whole thing won't work. I remember writing one program that wouldn't run and none of the computer science majors who were in the lab could figure out my mistake. I took the program to my professor and he couldn't find the mistake either. This is the beauty of C++ programming. (Yes, I admit I took advantage of the boys majoring in computer science and sweet talked them into helping me. There weren't very many girls in the lab and they spent A LOT of time there because like I said these classes were hard.)

Anyway, today I've decided that I probably should've paid more attention in the class or done more work independently instead of in groups or with the computer guys I mentioned before because I cannot figure out the dang blogger code sometimes! It is so frustrating. I accidently deleted the links to other blogs I read and I've been trying to add them back but to no avail. I did add a nifty ticker but it's presence seems to be preventing me from adding the other links. Not to mention that I spent a good 15 minutes trying to add the ticker into the title part of my blog before just deciding to stick it into the links because it was easier.
I do know enough about code that I realize I'm probably just missing a / or < somewhere but who has time to look for the details...I mean, after all I'm at work.

So, Dr. Vargas maybe you were right in giving my the B+ when I argued in your office for an A....because if I'd truly deserved the A I would be able to add things to my blog without tearing my hair out.

If I used to link to you, don't worry I'm still reading your blog. You are on my bloglines and I love seeing bold names on bloglines.....so update, update, update!!

6 comments:

nicolepage said...

CONGRATULATIONS, AMY!! I noticed your lilypie ticker on the side of your blog and was SOO excited for you guys! Can't wait to hear all the updates on how things are going. :) Much Love,
Nicole

Anonymous said...

yea! we're so excited for y'all and baby w! congratulations! jeff and jill

The Rowe Crew said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't wait for you to post about your little miracle! I can't wait to meet the little guy/gal :o)

Carole said...

don't feel bad amy. I can't even figure out bloglines. i just registered for it and i thought it was supposed to email me when people updated, but it's not. i'm confused.

Sharee Forman said...

Okay, totally cracks me up that the first time you let the blog world know about your sweet growing baby, you talk on and on about computer programming! You make me smile, you make me laugh.

CONGRATULATIONS again on your precious miracle!!! To say I'm excited for you is a complete understatement. My heart is so happy!! I also can't wait to hear about Boston. :) Much to blog about. :) Love you.

KC said...

AMY WEEMS.....Oh my gosh, I am SOOO excited for you! I totally missed the ticker on your blog b/c I was so busy concentrating on why in the world you were having to write html in education classes! YAY!!!!! I am so happy for you and Josh....you are going to be wonderful parents to this precious little one. Enjoy every moment of your pregnancy (I hope it's going well so far) and preparing for the most amazing miracle to come!

The Cooley's